Sometimes we need a serious cookie.
Chocolate chips are King. That's no doubt. And for the most part I default to making Chocolate Chip Cookies on the best majority of occasions.
But once in a while change is good, and in fact change is necessary to challenge ourselves and make ourselves realize that we can handle different, and we might just be surprised by how much we like different! Now I might be talking about life and not just cookies here, but what's life without cookies anyway?
These cookies are definitely different with ingredients I might not always use in the same place but when they come together... oh WOW. I think I found my new favourite cookie.
Let's look at what we've got:- coffee- cacao nibs- rolled oats- dried cherries- pecans- teff flour- dark chocolate (pink metallic dust is optional 😉
It's a lot of ingredients, but they way each and everyone of them played so well together amazed me.
The tart cherries and dark chocolate was an obvious combo (and one that I love and use in many recipes), but when combined with coffee it was elevated higher.
Teff flour took that to another level with its nuttiness complementing the coffee notes, then finally the pecans enhancing the nuttiness further.
I loved everything about these and I hope you try them out too, at least for the teff, oat, coffee and chocolate combo!
Teff flour really added an interesting flavour and delicate texture to these cookies but you could indeed replace it with all-purpose flour if you don't have access to it.
Change it up this week.
Make these cookies and tell me what you think!
Dark Chocolate Cherry Coffee Oat Cookies
- ½ cup 113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup 110g packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup 50g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup 71g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 60g teff flour (or use an equal amount of AP flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ⅖ cups 75g large flake rolled oats
- ¼ cup 25g cacao nibs, optional
- ½ cup 60g chopped pecans
- ½ cup 70g dried tart cherries, chopped
- ½ cup 85g dark chocolate chunks
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and both sugars using a wide rubber spatula until somewhat light and fluffy. Beat in egg until well combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt and espresso powder and whisk to blend evenly. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Fold through rolled oats, cacao nibs, pecans, cherries and chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.When ready to bake, scoop about 2 tablespoon portions of dough onto prepared baking trays spacing them 2 inches apart. Flatten and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cookies set for 3 minutes before transferring individually to a wire rack to finish cooling.