These Healthy Homemade Twix Bars are seriously addictive! I get a lot of requests for egg free recipes. Several of the recipes in Scientifically Sweet Occasions cookbook are naturally egg-free and it is highlighted in a little pink bubble at the top of the page.
However, most of my recipes contain eggs because eggs, of course, are an essential ingredient in developing the structure of many cakes, cookies, brownies and custards. It's one of the fundamental ingredients used in baking (and I love them!).
These luscious wannabe "Twix" bars are a healthy spin on the classic candy bar.
They are vegan, which means they do not contain dairy nor eggs, and it is also gluten-free since I use almonds to make the base "cookie" crust!
This is a wholesome treat that still tastes super indulgent. The cookie crust is more soft than crisp, and it makes the whole slice feel like a chewy candy treat.
The crust is made from ground almonds, coconut oil and maple syrup with a pinch of salt.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CARAMEL FOR HEALTHY HOMEMADE TWIX BARS:
This is certainily not caramel in it's natural sense! Caramel is traditionally based on caramelized sugar with added butter and cream.
Here we are not caramelizing sugar at all! Instead we are making a sauce from a liquid syrup (in this case maple syrup) blended with tahini to provide the fatty mouthfeel and thicken instantly.
WHAT IS TAHINI?
Tahini is sesame seed paste. It is similar to natural peanut butter or almond butter in that it is made purely from ground sesame seeds -- sometimes ground roasted sesame seeds.
Sesame seed paste is a common ingredient in Middle Eastern cuisine, namely savoury dishes such as hummus and baba ghanoush and also sweet halva desserts. It has a slightly bitter and very nutty flavour that works well to balance the sweetness of this "caramel sauce".
Coconut oil replaces butter in this faux caramel, but thanks to its solid fat fraction, it will also keep the chilled caramel firm and set in place.
INGREDIENTS FOR HEALTHY HOMEMADE TWIX BARS:
Just like classic Twix candy bar, this healthier homemade version has three delicious layers including an almond-based cookie base layer, a tahini "caramel" layer and a smooth chocolate layer. Here are the main basic ingredients:
- Blanched almond flour
- Pure maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Dark chocolate
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY HOMEMADE TWIX BARS:
These bars should be stored covered in the fridge until you’re ready to serve them. They will keep for about 1 week, but you can also store them sealed well in the freezer for up to 1 month.
If you freeze them, be sure to leave them out at room temperature for a few minutes before serving so that they soften up a bit.
These bars are chewy, gooey and delicious while also being nourishing and quite satisfying so they will keep you going for a while. I think they're great and they keep for weeks in the fridge.
If you make them, let me know what you think!
Healthier Tahini Twix Bars (Vegan & Gluten-free!)
- 1 ⅔ cups 165g almond flour
- 1 tablespoon 8g tapioca or corn starch
- 2 tablespoon 30ml melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon 30ml pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Salted Tahini Caramel:
- ½ cup 120ml tahini
- 3 tablespoon 45ml pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon 30g packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon 28g coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 oz 85g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon 10ml coconut oil
- sea salt flakes for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- For the base, combine almond flour, tapioca or corn starch, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt in a large bowl and mix together evenly with a fork until it forms a nice dense crumb. Turn it out into the prepared pan and press it evenly into the base. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- For the caramel, combine tahini, maple syrup, brown sugar, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly until it begins to simmer gently and then continue to simmer for 30 seconds. Do not over-boil. Immediately pour it over the cooled crust and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour until firm.
- For the topping, melt chocolate with coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high power for 20 second increments, stirring in between until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Pour it over the caramel layer and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and then let refrigerate until set before cutting into bars. Store bars in the fridge in an airtight container.