If there was ever a cookie recipe that can make you feel like a kid again while simultaneously being healthy-ish and suitable for any time of day, it would be my Best Monster Cookie Recipe!
WHAT ARE MONSTER COOKIES?
Monster cookies always have three main ingredients: peanut butter, oats and colourful candy-coated chocolate. They are big, thick and chunky with a chewy texture and always contain oats. They're similar to a kitchen sink cookie, except they're more fun!
I have packed so much good stuff into these Monster Cookies! Think trail mix, but better.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BEST MONSTER COOKIE RECIPE:
- Peanut butter - this recipe works best with smooth or creamy peanut butter, and I like to use the regular emulsified type. If you use natural peanut butter they will be slightly more crumbly.
- Rolled oats - this recipe is designed to use rolled oats. If you use quick oats the cookies will be too crumbly and dry.
- Honey - honey is the key ingredient to make sure these cookies stay nice and chewy! Do not leave it out.
- Dried cranberries - you could also use dried cherries which would be so good!
- Roasted almonds - this is optional but I love the addition of almonds.
- Pumpkin seeds - they add such a delicious nutty taste and also a pop of green colour.
- Dark chocolate - my favourite part! I prefer dark chocolate chips, but you can use milk chocolate if that's what you prefer.
- Candy-covered chocolate! - they wouldn't be Monster Cookies without them! You can use M&Ms or just generic candy-coated chocolate pieces.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEST MONSTER COOKIE RECIPE
- STEP 1). Combine dry ingredients. Add all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to blend evenly.
- STEP 2). Add the mix-ins. Add the goodies to the dry ingredients including the dried fruit, nuts and chocolate candies then set aside.
- STEP 3). Cream butter and sugar. Beat together the butter with brown sugar until smooth.
- STEP 4). Mix in PB and egg. Beat in peanut butter, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- STEP 5). Add dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture and mix it in until just combined
- STEP 6). Chill the dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- STEP 7). BAKE. Scoop heaped tablespoon portions of dough and roll into smooth balls. Place them onto lined baking sheets and bake until golden and still soft in the middle!
With just 6 tablespoons of butter, these are lean enough to enjoy without judgement at breakfast (don't come at us cookies for breakfast enthusiasts!) or for afternoon snack, yet sweet enough to still count as dessert.
If you're wondering if they're soft and chewy, the answer is YES!
How to make chewy monster cookies?
These cookies stay chewy with a tablespoon of honey. Honey is a "humectant" and that's a technical term for compounds or ingredients that hold onto water very tightly. This prevents excessive moisture loss from the cookie so that the moisture stays IN the cookie.
How do I store these monster cookies?
Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can I add different nuts and fruit to this monster cookie recipe?
Yes! You can use walnuts or pecans instead of roasted almonds. Peanuts would also be delicious! You can also use dried cherries, dried apricots or raisins. They are hearty, nutty, delicious and FUN! I hope you bake them right away and share them with the ones you love.
BEST Monster Cookie Recipe
- 1 ¼ cups 125g quick oats
- ¾ cup 105g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 60g dried cranberries
- ½ cup 70g chopped roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoon 20g pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup 85g dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup 85g mini candy coated chocolate
- 6 tablespoon 84g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup 165g packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup 60ml smooth regular peanut butter
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon 15ml honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix in dried cranberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, chocolate chips and candy coated chocolate.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter with brown sugar in a large bowl with a spatula until well blended and the mixture looks like wet sand. Mix in peanut butter. Beat in egg until well combined, then mix in honey and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix it in until it is just combined.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the dough in the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place them on prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Flatten them to form round disks with about ½-inch thickness (this is necessary because these cookies don’t spread too much on their own). Bake until lightly golden around the edges but still slightly gooey in the center (they will set as they cool), 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet. Transfer cookies individually to a wire rack to cool completely.