I've changed. I used to thrive on complicated. I used to really enjoy the meticulous nature of a well designed recipe. I still love a challenge... but lately, all I want is easy and this One Bowl Sour Cream Chocolate Cake is certainly easy!
Maybe it's age (or, ahem, getting wiser)...
Maybe it's experience, or maybe it's just life getting way too busy (Is it though? Or have our priorities changed?.. But then again most of us commute to work which takes away at least 2 hours of each day that we can't get back... so maybe yes - too busy. I'll let you sit on that for a while...).
Now I appreciate the true simplicity of a recipe, and I believe that a recipe that is simple AND still 110% successful is a well designed one!
WHAT MAKES THIS ONE BOWL SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE SO EASY?
To me, simplicity means a few things:
- staple ingredients (or easily accessible)
- few dishes (v. important!!)
- one baking pan
- few steps
- delicious without any other complicated counterparts (ie. frosting, sauce, etc.)
Get ready for it, because this chocolate cake delivers!
It's a One Bowl Sour Cream Chocolate Cake, and it is the best chocolate cake if not for that reason alone! It makes one tall layer that is striking topped with whipped cream alone.
It contains chocolate in two forms: pure unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder.
It stays moist with the addition of honey and has the perfect balance of sweetness with the addition of salt and sour cream.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- STEP 1). First melt together the chocolate and butter until smooth (I guess that's one extra bowl so maybe this is a TWO BOWL chocolate cake)
- STEP 2). Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and blend well.
- STEP 3). Add the liquid ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients in the order specified and whisk until smooth.
- STEP 4). Add the melted chocolate mixture and whisk it through.
- STEP 5). BAKE just until set -- a skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
What is a substitute for sour cream?
If sour cream is not available to you where you live, you can also make this recipe using an equal amount of full fat Greek yogurt. I have tested this and it worked well!
Another suitable substitution is crème fraîche — a type of fermented dairy product somewhere between yogurt and sour cream.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this cake 1 or 2 days in advance since it keeps so well. The honey helps it stay moist. Just don't make the whipped cream until you plan to serve it.
How do I store this chocolate cake?
Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you plan to serve it the next day, then you can store it at room temperature, and then keep any leftovers in the fridge.
BEST One Bowl Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
- 6 tablespoon 84g unsalted butter
- 2 oz 56g unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ cup 60ml honey
- 1 cup 142g all-purpose flour
- ½ cup 45g cocoa powder (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 200g granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup 150ml sour cream
- ⅓ cup 80ml milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup 180ml 35% whipping cream for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the base of an 8-inch round cake pan or springform pan with parchment paper and lightly butter the sides.
- Melt butter, chocolate and honey together in a small saucepan over very low heat. Stir constantly until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Add sugar and salt and whisk to blend. Add eggs, sour cream, milk and vanilla and begin to whisk together. Soon after add the slightly cooled chocolate mixture. Continue stirring with a whisk starting from the center and working your way out to the edges just until the batter is smooth.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and smooth out the surface. Bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before turning out.
- Once completely cooled, top the cake with freshly whipped cream and dust with cocoa! That's it!