How can the holidays ever go by without a batch of thumbprint cookies? It can't! You see them evvverywhere.
Today I'm sharing with you my favourite chocolate thumbprints from my latest cookbook "Scientifically Sweet: Chocolate". These cookies alone are so fudgy and chocolatey, and with the creamy peppermint white chocolate filling they are out of this world!
This combination is so great at this time of year and you can tell I'm pushing for it 😉
Funny thing is I actually do not like mint infused chocolate! Ha! BUT, I do like the combination of pure chocolate combined with a peppermint something... just don't put too much peppermint throughout my actual chocolate something. Does that make sense?
I really hope you make these because not only are they delicious, but they are so quick and simple to put together!
Big love to you.
Chocolate Peppermint Creme Thumbprint Cookies
For the cookie dough:
- 2 oz 56g dark chocolate (60% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup 142g all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup 22g cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup 65g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 3 oz 85g white chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon 30ml 35% whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Melt chocolate gently in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water or in the microwave with short bursts and frequent stirring. Set aside to cool slightly.Sift flour, cocoa powder and salt into a medium bowl and whisk to blend evenly. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until light and fluffy. Mix in yolk and vanilla extract. Stir through melted chocolate. Add flour mixture and fold it in until just incorporated.
- Form the dough into a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the chilled log into 18 equal portions. Roll each portion of dough into smooth balls and place onto prepared baking sheets spacing them about 2 inches apart. Use your thumb or a dowel (such as the back end of a wooden spoon) to create a well in the center of each cookie. Once you’ve made the impression with the dowel, move it around inside the well to open up the space to make room for lots of filling. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and reinforce indents with the dowel. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, until small cracks begin to form in the cookies.
- Transfer trays to a wire rack and reinforce the indents again. Let cool completely on trays as these cookies are delicate when warm.To make the filling, combine chopped white chocolate, cream and peppermint extract in a small saucepan over very low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Spoon the filling into the wells of the cooled cookies and refrigerate until set.