I'm so happy to share this recipe today because it's so timely!
Right between citrus season and Spring and Easter... this simple, tangy, bright dessert fits perfectly!
The best part is how easy it is to prepare with a no-roll crust that serves as the crumble topping too!
The creamy filling is even easier with just 4 ingredients that you stir up in a bowl. As fancy as they look, these mini tarts really take less than 15 minutes to prepare. Most of the time is spent in the oven.
The simple process goes like this:
1). Combine all dry ingredients for the crust in a bowl and mix in melted butter.2). Press some of this crumble mixture into tart pans.3). Bake until golden.4). Mix all filling ingredients and spoon into baked crusts.5). Top with remaining crumble mixture and bake until golden.
A hearty, buttery oat crust with hints of coconut, a luscious smooth creamy and tangy filling and a crunchy oat crumble. It's really hard to mess this one up and I know it will be a delight for your friends and family.
Lemon Coconut Crumb Tarts
Crumb and crust:
- 1 cup 142g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 100g large flake rolled oats
- ¼ cup 22g medium unsweetened coconut
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup 50g granulated sugar
- ¼ cup 55g packed light-brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp 125g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup 180ml/240g sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup 80ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- zest of one lemon
- sweetened shredded coconut for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, oats, coconut, salt and baking soda. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar and mix until no clumps of sugar remain. Add melted butter and stir mixture until evenly moistened. Use your hands to make sure it is well combined or you can do this in a stand mixer.
- Use about ¼ cup of crumb mixture per tart to form the base. Mound it into the middle and then press it out evenly over the base and out to the edges using your fingers to fit it well into the tart pans. For seven tarts, this should use about two-thirds of the crumb mixture. Reserve the remaining mixture for topping. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and slightly puffed. Remove from oven and set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon zest until well blended. Spoon mixture over pre-baked crusts (about 3 tablespoons each) and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle top with remaining crumb mixture and top with extra sweetened flaked coconut. Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.